Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thoughts 1/11/11

When I thought about writing this I was going to start it with "Misery unites." The more I thought about it the less I attribute todays events to misery. Today it was the new, unfamiliar and partly troublesome that united us all in Raleigh. Plainly put, this morning was wonderful.
Ice covered the streets so I walked to work. I tried to at least. The sidewalks and grass were also covered in ice. After falling a few times a kind woman stopped and offerend me a ride. Her 2 kids, jj and han, said good morning and han shook my hand as i hopped into the backseat. We turned the corner off of the main road where a PT Cruiser was in the middle of our side of the road. A little math, brakes + ice = nothing. Weglid into the PT and took out a brake light, our car was unscarred. No big deal, we got out and made sure everyone and the cars were okay.
Anyway etc, etc, the point is that some kind stranger stopped to pick me up and we crashed. The problem was that, well not problem, but everyone I met while walking the rest of the way was happy, excited, smiling. Things you dont expect to see on a miserable day where people are crashing into each other, 18 wheelers can't get up hills and put cat litter under their tires, pedestrians falling, chaos. But the whole time we all laughed and smiled at each other.
It wasn't the shared misery as I originally thought, though that is a small part of it. Something was shoved into our everyday dull routines. It was the new event/challenge that was put into all of our lives that we were forced to overcome together. And we loved it!  I got 3 good mornings, 2 "this shit is crazy, huh?" looks, and 1 ride from a kind stranger.  The point is... Well I guess there is no point.  It was a just great day.

            On an unrelated note, I started watching Battlestar Galactica on Netflix.  Its awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment